WEC Energy subsidiaries propose to acquire solar and battery project – Power Technology

WEC Energy subsidiaries propose to acquire solar and battery project in US
The solar and battery storage project is planned in Dane County, Wisconsin. Credit: Antonio Garcia on Unsplash.

WEC Energy Group subsidiaries We Energies and Wisconsin Public Service (WPS) have announced their proposal to acquire 465MW Koshkonong Solar Energy Center in south-central Wisconsin, US.

With an investment of $649m, the solar and battery storage project is planned to be built in Dane County, Wisconsin, southeast of Madison and will be developed by Invenergy.

The Koshkonong Solar Energy Center will feature a 300MW of solar generation and 165MW of battery storage facility, which will store solar-generated power.

<!–

–>

We Energies and WPS president Tom Metcalfe said: “The Koshkonong project is another key component in our effort to build a sustainable future and ensure electric reliability in the region.

“We saw this winter in Texas and other states the dangerous results when people are without heat and power. Our focus on investing in affordable, reliable and clean energy means customers will have the energy they need when they need it.”

Investment in the Koshkonong project is part of WEC Energy Group’s plan to invest nearly $2bn in new solar, wind and battery storage projects at its utilities by 2025.

We Energies and WPS filed the project proposal with the Public Service Commission of Wisconsin.

The two companies will own 90% of the project, while the remaining 10% stake would be owned by Madison Gas and Electric.

If approved, construction works at the site are expected to begin next year with commercial operation in 2024.

It is the third large-scale solar and battery project announced this year by WEC Energy Group’s subsidiaries.

Earlier this year, We Energies and WPS announced plans to acquire 325MW Darien Solar Energy Center and 310MW Paris Solar-Battery Park.

Source: https://www.power-technology.com/news/wec-energy-solar-battery/

May 4, 2021 susan ward