A SOLAR panel that caught fire at New Lambton has sparked a fresh warning from authorities to ensure the renewable devices are properly installed.
Fire and Rescue NSW crews were called to Addison Road about 12.30pm after reports of a house fire.
A spokesman said crews arrived to find “a solar panel isolation switch had caught fire on the roof of a home.”
Crews got to work, quenching the blaze quickly and preventing it spreading into the building’s roof.
Paramedics attended the scene as a precaution. No injuries were reported.
Fire Investigation and Research Unit Superintendent Graham Kingsland said
NSW Ambulance were also in attendance however no injuries have been reported.
Superintendent Graham Kingsland from the Fire Investigation and Research said solar panels were a growing source of fires.
“Over the last five years we have seen solar panel related fires increase five-fold. It is not uncommon to see solar panels cause house and building fires,” he said.
“By ensuring solar panels are installed by a licensed installer, and are well maintained by a professional, you can prevent a tragedy”.
In August fire investigators cited solar panels as a factor in four fires over the course of a single week, including one at Maryland.