Traveling around in an RV is a great way to see the world and experience new places and food. However, constantly eating out can be expensive, and you can only pack so much food in the camper. An RV microwave convection oven can help you save time, money, and ensure you get a quality meal on the road. Check out these top-rated convection ovens to install in your RV.
Best RV Microwave Convection Oven Reviews & Recommendations 2020
Benefits of an RV Microwave Convection Oven
- Make great-tasting food. A convection microwave oven uses radio-frequency energy to cook and a fan to circulate hot air. The radio-frequency energy heats and bakes the food. The food cooks from inside out and has a much better flavor because it retains all its moisture. Many convection microwaves feature sensor cooking and the cooking time is automatically adjusted to ensure food tastes better.
- Food cooks faster. Food usually cooks faster in a microwave convection oven. This is because the unit merges the power of microwave energy with the power of convection cooking. And just like an oven, you can preheat it ahead of time. Your food will take less time to cook and the oven won’t draw a lot of power from the battery.Â
- Cook multiple dishes. Unlike traditional microwave ovens, convection microwaves can bake, toast, roast, defrost, broil, cook, brown, steam, and crisp food. They perform the functions of other kitchen appliances and save you kitchen space, money, and time. You can even pop popcorn. Since most ovens come with two racks, you can heat or cook two meals at the same time.
Types of RV Microwave Convection Ovens
Countertop Convection Microwave Ovens
Convection microwave ovens offer all the cooking features of traditional and grill microwaves, however, they also have the ability to make foods. They use a heater and a fan to cook every type of food. While traditional and grill microwaves utilize metal boxes to direct electricity towards the food to cook, convection microwaves push heat using a fan, creating a better cooking environment. However, they are the most expensive of all microwaves.Â
Over-the-Range Microwave Ovens
Over-the-range microwaves comprise a microwave oven and a range hood. They are specifically designed to be installed over a stovetop. They combine the microwave and the ventilation unit to make the most of the kitchen space. They are usually mounted on the wall and can be installed above any range. They are ideal for RVs, which have smaller kitchens.
This Japanese multinational corporation designs and manufactures electronic products. It was founded in 1912 by Tokuji Hayakawa as a metal workshop. Its headquarters are located in Sakai, Osaka, and it employs more than 50,000 people worldwide. It manufactures a wide range of products, from solar panels to televisions. If you’re looking for a microwave convection oven you can use in your RV, try the Sharp Microwave Oven with Convection.
Toshiba is one of Japan’s oldest manufacturers of consumer electronic products and industrial electrical products. It is one of the world’s top producers of notebook personal computers and develops innovative products that focus on the fields of electronics and energy. The company is headquartered in Tokyo, Japan, and makes affordable microwave convection ovens like the Toshiba Countertop Microwave Oven with Convection.
This company is best known for its high-quality and affordable cookware. The company was founded by Russian immigrant Simon Faber in 1897. In 1997, it was acquired by Maya Corporation. Its corporate office is in Needham, Massachusetts. Farberware makes everyday cooking easier. Get the Farberware Microwave Oven with Air Fry & Grill/Convection and make mouthwatering meals as you travel in your RV.
RV Microwave Convection Oven Pricing
- $150-$400: In this category, youâ€™ll find microwave convection ovens made by renowned brands like Cuisinart, Panasonic, and Waring. Some of the ovens here are integrated with Alexa and offer hands-free operation.
- $400-$800: In this class, the microwave convection ovens have features like auto defrost, a child safety lock, safety protection, and sensor cooking. They come with lengthy warranties and are mostly made of stainless steel.
Microwave convection ovens that have sensor controls quickly alert you when your food is sufficiently cooked. They do this by measuring the steam in the oven. This technology is known as sensor cooking and it uses humidity sensors and temperature inside the microwave to determine when food is ready. When a microwave convection oven cooks food, it activates the water in the food, causing it to produce steam as it cooks. When the food is ready, the oven automatically shuts off, ensuring it is not undercooked or overcooked.
The wattage of a microwave equals power. Microwave wattages typically range between 650 and 1950 watts. If you want a microwave that cooks quickly, choose one with a higher wattage. Some microwave convection ovens have preset programs for cooking. You may find that the convection temperature and the microwave power level are fixed. Choose a model that allows you to pick your own settings as you can cook food the way you want.
Microwave convection ovens come in a myriad of sizes, from countertop models to larger units. Consider how much kitchen space you can afford to give up in your RV. Another thing worth considering is the size of the oven door. Wide-opening doors make it a lot easier to remove heavy and hot dishes, especially for people with reduced strength or mobility issues. Some units have drop-down doors that can hold hot dishes when open.Â
- Child Lock. Convection microwave with a child lock feature allows you to lock it so that children and any person who is unfamiliar with how it operates canâ€™t switch it on accidentally. The child lock feature on most microwaves is not engaged by default, you have to activate it. However, it is also important to note that you can activate it by mistake if you press specific buttons too many times.
- Capacity. This usually varies between 0.6 to 2.0 cubic feet. If you have a large family, get a unit with at least 1.2 cubic feet. It will have more interior space and allow you to cook more than one dish at a time. However, if you’re comparing models, we recommend checking the size of the racks and the height of the interior as these are more important than the capacity.
Best RV Microwave Convection Oven Reviews & Recommendations 2020
- Stay inside or nearby the RV while using a convection oven to monitor it. Just like at home, you will want to ensure the oven functions properly and doesnâ€™t overheat or overcook the food.
- Many ovens can be mounted to the wall to save space in an RV. Note the measurements of the oven and compare them with the space inside the RV to ensure there is enough room for the appliance.
- Never put metal silverware, dishes, or cookware in the oven when using the microwave setting. They conduct electricity and can short out the device and other appliances in the RV. They could also start a fire in the camper. Be careful when cooking with metal utensils in the oven in general.
Q: How do I clean a convection oven?
A: Wait until the oven is completely cool to the touch before cleaning it. Use a damp dish towel to wipe down the inside of the oven. You can also place the cooking racks in the dishwasher. There are certain cleaning products you can spray inside the oven and then wipe it with a rag.
Q: How long does an RV microwave convection oven take to heat up?
A: This varies on the settings. It can take anywhere from a few minutes to 10 minutes to fully heat up the inside of the oven.
Q: Do the cook times vary on convection ovens?
A: Convection ovens are smaller than home ovens and therefore their cooking times may vary. Monitor the food you are cooking to make sure it is fully cooked. You can check the food by removing it from the oven early. If it is still raw, place it back in the oven for a few minutes.
For a durable convection oven with a ton of features and cooking times, consider the Toshiba Convection Microwave Oven.Â
Or, you could save a bit of cash and get a high-quality oven with a wide variety of selection options with the Farberware Black Microwave Oven with Convection Function.